Images

Seed Starter Mix

I am just wondering what others are using for seed starter mix. I had been for years using a sterile mix from Ocean State Job Lot but I decided I would try Miracle Gro Seed starter mix that I picked up at Home Depot and I used that in my first 72 cell tray and it looked as though someone had racked a forrest floor to harvest this, it was full of clumps and twigs. My birthday was recently and the wife got me some Burpees Organic Seed Starter Mix and what a difference, no clumps, no twigs. I can't evaluate performance yet but I would like other gardeners' opinions and what they use.

Images
    Dan.......I used the burpees organic seed starter mix and like it a lot. I also use the Pro-Mix BX and love this stuff. It has a beneficial fungus in it that we pumpkin growers swear by called endomycorrhizal fungi. It attaches to the plant roots and forms a bigger root zone to increase nutrient absorption. I buy it at the local Agway. Stuff is real good!

Images
    Hi Ray,
    VAM which is a type of endomycorrhizae and the producer of glomalin is basically why no till or lasagna gardening produce so well. I might look into the Pro-Mix BX when I am doing the mix for my buckets because I believe it can't hurt if it is helping. It would be a good thing if I know VAM was already in there. There are only a few garden plants that do not benefit from the symbiotic VAM relationship and at this time I can't recall them.